Mark Bittman on his blog recently highlighted the need for supermarkets that strive to be better.
See: About “Better” Supermarkets
We should unquestionably support good supermarkets, but we should also be pushing them to:This sounds like what our Oryana has always done. See: Purchasing Policy
- carry sustainable seafood exclusively
- carry ethically raised meat and poultry whenever possible
- carry organic and/or local fruits and vegetables whenever possible
- buy from suppliers who themselves have a conscience whenever possible
- pay their own staff a living wage, with benefits
- think about their energy usage, their waste, their community service
And this food co-op is so much a part of the fabric of Traverse City that I couldn't imagine this town without it. Oryana is one of those organizations that makes Traverse City more livable.